sermon win

Sometimes when I'm falling asleep in a sermon, one thing will always perk me back up. When pastors talk about things I struggle with, their credibility in my book suddenly goes up 1000%, and I'm all ears for the next 30 minutes.

For example, if I'm having trouble understanding why faith is not just about intellectual understanding, and the pastor happens to say, "For those of you who may think that faith is just about intellectualism and knowledge," I start listening. If it's about being unable to be vulnerable, "I personally also find it very hard to be open..."

It really wakes me up from one of the biggest deceptions I always fall to - I always believe that I'm the only one who struggles with something, and no one understands me. Also, it's just so shameful that I am this way, so I won't talk about it. I somehow think that everyone else has it put together.

That's a lie. God loves me even though He understands exactly what I'm going through. And so far, I've never had to suffer some catastrophic struggle unique only to myself.

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin."
- Hebrews 4:15

0 comments: