truth

"'If this is bewitchment,' said Théoden, 'it seems to me more wholesome than your whisperings. Your leechcraft ere long would have had me walking on all fours like a beast..."
- "The Two Towers," J. R. R. Tolkien

This quote reminds me a lot of another one.

What's beautiful to me about this quote is that this king is willing to accept the truth, even if it means danger and certain doom, over wasting away safely in the darkness. Of course, we only know that what he's accepting is indeed the truth because of third-person omniscient writing... but to his credit, and from his point of view, he's putting faith in something that is worth more to him than the lies that have kept him ensnared.

It's easy to get caught in the crossfire between truth and falsehood, where each is pointing fingers at the other and yelling "Lies!" It's a gift to be able to discern one from the other, and that means putting trust in those who know the way. I could decide to follow my own limited intellect (rationalism), follow the lies of Satan (any one of twenty billion things), or follow Jesus. It's just a matter of where I want to put my trust.

0 comments: