egypt

"Egypt will no longer be a source of confidence for the people of Israel but will be a reminder of their sin in turning to her for help..."
-
Ezekiel 29:16

Who do I turn to in my time of need? I always feel like I'm desperately clawing away, trying to get to the surface of a deep lake... and when I get there, there's always a new wave ready to sweep me back down. One gasp of breath is all I get before I'm submerged in fears and worries again. I need someone to depend on, a life preserver, and if that's not Jesus Christ and the gospel message, I'm looking at a flimsy raft made of reeds. It'll hold me up if only for a little bit, but will eventually be shattered. And whether I depend on my own strength, or on relationships, or on church, or on my experiences, they are never going to be sufficient enough to sustain me. The Israelites turned to Egypt, instead of trusting in the Lord who had already proven faithful. The alternative to turning to God always seems easier, but it never is.

I need more than just something that floats. I need an oxygen tank. Something that will sustain me even when I feel as if I'm drowning.

0 comments: