doing

I always like to do stuff. I'm a workaholic. Chris, the antithesis of a procrastinator... I begin work the moment it's assigned, finish it, then move on to the next thing to do. And I think deep down inside I have a strong desire to find a point at which I am finally "done," but it just never comes.
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
- Philippians 1:6
The work isn't ever done till Jesus comes back. Slightly depressing moment for me.

Ironically, this might be the reason I'm writing this blogpost at this particular moment. I have time to burn, and I have to be doing something.

My mom tells me that when I was a wee toddler, I wouldn't go to bed even when I had a fever because I "had to do my homework." Imagine that same work ethic cultivated through 15 years of schooling. I'm a machine now.

When I went to visit my sister over break, I saw a note etched on a whiteboard in the kitchen; to sit and rest. It referred to Martha and how she was so anxious while Mary sat and listened at Jesus' feet (Luke 10:38-42). It must run in the family.

One thing I really want to learn is that I can stop. And that God will not love me any less, He will not stop being my Rock and my Shelter. It takes a measure of trust to stop and rest. A measure of faith that I'm looking for. As Jaeson Ma puts it:
As humans, we need to remember that we are not human doings, but human beings first.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha there is someone like me who doesn't mind doing nothing. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed it :-) and...Sit and Rest tonight, Chris!

    ReplyDelete