john 15

I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
- John 15:5-8
When I ask, "How do I glorify God?" I'm stumped nine times out of ten. How can we possibly glorify God with what we do?

As we learn to remain in Christ, as we find that apart from Him we can do nothing, as we learn that in our weakness His grace is sufficient, as we learn that when our desires slowly become aligned with His that we will ask and we will bear fruit, and the world will see Christ as the truth as we are found to be His disciples. We will be used for His glory.

(That was a long sentence, and I don't think it's actually a sentence. Oh well.)

Growing up, my questions were so... immature. "God, why don't You give me this?" "God, You say You'll give us whatever we ask for... why can't You fix everything?"

But the point of my existence was never for God to change to meet my needs. The point of my existence was to enjoy and know and be known by God. And He made that happen. And now, my greatest joy is not about me. My frustrations aren't that important. It's okay that He doesn't spoil me and succumb to my every whim. And it's amazing that I have hope for change, hope of love in Christ, hope of death to myself and to sin, the hope of His own heart, and the hope of knowing and being known by Him even more.

0 comments: