pale blue dot















This is what Earth looks like from deep in outer space. A "pale blue dot."

An atheist friend e-mailed it to me, telling me that looking into the stars is an interesting way to find truth. Deep inside, I started having some doubts about my own faith. I mean, what does it really mean for us to live on this earth? Are we some fundamental accident? (And although I knew that none of these thoughts made sense, I think I still succumbed to doubting).

I found a couple answers in the Word:

1) "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world."
- 1 John 4:1-3

Now this one is kind of crazy, because I ran across this verse in a complete accident. I remember I was trying to read 1 John 4:7-8 to the Excel kids while we were doing Bible study, and I messed up because I saw that both verses 1 and 7 of the chapter start with "Dear friends." So I started reading this passage up to: "Dear friends, do not believe..." until the volunteers started laughing at my mistake and I humbly blushed. The kids didn't notice anything.
Well, anyway, I ran across the verse then in a complete accident, and I'm finding that my doubts are all rooted in somehow lending a listening ear to the "spirit of the antichrist." I take completely illogical thoughts and juggle them in my head for longer than I should.

2) "When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?"
- Psalm 8:3-4

Astronomy shows a lot more about how Christ's love is that much more powerful. He who made the universe and everything in it gave up His only Son that we might live. We, who live in an insignificant pale blue dot in the middle of nowhere. What did we do to deserve this love?

0 comments: