answers

Being a good Christian has nothing to do with being righteous or doing the right things. We view the externals as a line of judgment, but that just ends up with us arguing about the arbitrary, the right and the wrong. Christianity is about the relationship. Cliched, indeed, but true. We become and look righteous not because the question we ask ourselves is "How righteous can we be?," but instead because we ask "How can I draw nearer to Him, how can I please my Lord?" And this results in a drastically different motivation, if not a significantly changed behavior. Following Christ is a commitment to be free from the bondage of law and sin - for our benefit.

So what am I to do with those I know who are consumed with sin?

Have faith that the Holy Spirit will move. People need to start desiring God and a relationship with Jesus to be purified, not make sorry attempts to become righteous on their own. In short, no Jesus, no fix. I shouldn't have to hope that people will become more righteous or visibly Christian; only that they will genuinely seek Christ.

On a side note: I think my deepest convictions are only solidified as I begin to live them out. I had a moment of deep, heartfelt gratefulness today as I stood and wondered at how much God has wrought in my life. I don't know the point at which I've obtained enough faith to say with certainty that I am willing to lay my life in Christ's hands and say if I died this moment, I would be confident in Him... but it has come, and only through the Spirit. Another conviction is just the fact that I don't need to be righteous - God loves me the way I am; I am given grace. I can only believe this when I live it out and meditate on it. I've found I can't even change my own direction and beliefs... it is God who allows me to believe. Why do I try so hard to change my own and others' faiths?

I want to be undignified, to know that my faith and love for Christ is so great that I will give anything to be that living sacrifice...

"But I pray to you, O Lord, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation."
-
Psalm 69:13

Prayers are answered.

0 comments: