downplay

I have a couple pet peeves. I really hate it when people start their sentences with one of these two phrases:

"Oh, that's nothing. I've ..."

"No, but..."

These are words of downplay. The connotation I get from these is that "yeah, that's cool, but I'm way cooler." And I think a lot of people do this - whether because we hate affirming other people or we want to show we somehow know something more.

I know one thing I fall prey to is:

"Yeah, you're right, but..."

Sadly, if someone's right, I probably shouldn't put a "but" after saying "you're right." It just doesn't make sense. I do it because I want to be more right. Gotta keep a check on my tongue on that one. :)

I used to downplay the Gospel the same way.

"Yeah, Jesus loves me, that's great. But because He does, I need to serve Him and be obedient."

Alright. Slash that last sentence.

"Yeah, Jesus loves me, that's great! .  But because He does, I need to serve Him and be obedient."

Amen.

1 comment: